10 ml (2 tsp) cornflour
250 ml (1 cup) coconut cream
15 ml (1 tbsp) grated fresh ginger
125 ml (½ cup) Mrs Balls chutney
15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
125 ml (½ cup) strong Rooibos tea
8 chicken portions e.g. drumsticks and thighs
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
extra fresh thyme sprigs to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Heat a pot over a medium temperature.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflour with a little water to make a paste. Then add the coconut cream, ginger, chutney and thyme. Stir until well combined. Season to taste and stir in the Rooibos tea.
- Fry the chicken, skin side first, in batches until golden brown on all sides. Spoon out and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Add onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Reduce the temperature and stir the sauce into the onion. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat in the sauce. Turn chicken portions skin side. Simmer with a lid for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce into a deep oven dish and roast in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve chicken with extra fresh thyme, salad and green veggies.